[ Read the SemperVerus article, A Prayer for Church Security Team Members ]
Research studied by the ministry Spiritual First Aid shows that most churches, organizations, and communities are not well prepared for mass traumas.
That’s why it has now published the complimentary evidence-based crisis response tool, Trauma-Informed Church Crisis Response: A Field Guide for the First 72 Hours. It’s an outline of the critical stages following a crisis, providing a comprehensive list of practical actions your congregation can take to support those impacted by a major event, such as a mass killing or natural disaster.
[ Read the SemperVerus article, A Directory of Medical Kit Resources ]
Here are a few excerpts:
DURING THE FIRST MOMENTS OF A MAJOR CRISIS:
1. Assess immediate safety: Determine if there is an ongoing threat and ensure the safety of all individuals who are present.
2. Call emergency services: If necessary, call for police, fire, or medical assistance.
3. Notify church leadership: Inform the pastor, elders, or other designated leaders about the crisis and begin coordinating the response.
4. Initiate the church’s crisis response plan: Activate the pre-established emergency response plan and follow its guidelines.
[ Read the SemperVerus article, Church Security Book Review: Defending the Flock ]
WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR OF A MAJOR CRISIS:
1. Provide comfort and support: Offer emotional and spiritual support to those directly affected by the crisis.
2. Gather information: Collect accurate information about the situation from reliable sources, being mindful of privacy concerns and avoiding the spread of rumors.
3. Communicate with the congregation: While maintaining confidentiality and sensitivity, share pertinent information about the crisis with church members.
4. Designate a point person: Assign a church leader or staff member to serve as the main contact person to coordinate the crisis response, communicate updates, and answer questions.
WITHIN 24 HOURS OF A MAJOR CRISIS…
WITHIN 48 HOURS OF A MAJOR CRISIS…
WITHIN 72 HOURS OF A MAJOR CRISIS…
[ See links to Church Security Training Resources ]
Spiritual First Aid is an independent social enterprise dedicated to transforming scientific findings and best practices into user-friendly training and resources rooted in Scripture and trauma-informed principles. This is accomplished by translating insights from research through its affiliation with the Humanitarian Disaster Institute at Wheaton College.
[ Read SemperVerus articles on the topic of Church Security ]
Invite SemperVerus® to present its 5 life-changing success-generating components—prepare, aware, be, know, do—to your organization to inspire and motivate your members.
Join the SemperVerus Brotherhood™! take your TIME and even slow the approach to give yourself the opportunity to scan.